Doctors (Cruise Ship)
Doctors (Cruise line company)
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work on board an established cruise line company as a ‘Doctor’. The chosen applicant will provide high quality healthcare to crew and passengers 24/7, through a clinic service and on-call provision, and in emergencies support the Senior Doctor and other members of the medical team as required.
- Lead by example by taking care of the health and safety of self and others
- Report all accidents, ‘near miss’ incidents and work-related ill health conditions to the Senior Doctor and to the safety department
- Follow safety rules and procedures
- Use work equipment, personal protective equipment, substances, and safety devices correctly
- Take part in safety training & risk assessments and suggest ways of reducing risks
- Institute appropriate public health precautions as relevant to role
- Apply company procedures regarding Environmental Management consistently across the department
- Monitor compliance to environmental legislation and highlight any areas of concern
- Carefully manage the environmental impacts of all tasks under own responsibility
- Emergency Duties – understand the emergency duties of self and those within own area
- Direct a team in carrying out their emergency duties
- Co-ordinate emergency response with others across the ship, responding to orders and feeding back reports
- Lead & coordinate actions to be taken in a range of shipboard incidences as defined in the company’s emergency procedures
- Co-ordinate the movement and management of a large group of crew / passengers over a specified area, such as a muster station, through the correct deployment and briefing of staff
- Follow the correct security procedures when embarking and disembarking from the ship
- Report suspicious activities, packages and /or security incidents following the correct procedure
- 3 years of ICU and A&E experience.
- Must have ACLS, BCLS, PALS, ATLAS that has been revalidated within the last 15 months. This must be valid for the duration of their employment contract.
- Decisive and responsive to emerging situations
- Remains calm and makes sound judgements under pressure
- Demonstrates cultural and interpersonal sensitivity in their dealings with others
- Confident in formal social situation and comfortable making conversation with passengers
- Conscientious about keeping commitments and being on time
- Model high standards of ethics and appropriate behaviour
- Considers and manages risk (safety, medical, reputational) in all situations including those of a safeguarding nature
- The contract lengths are 4 months on 2 months off, working 7 days a week for usually 10 hours a day. They are paid whilst working onboard only.
- The salary is around $10,000 US tax free (unless they are US citizens) per month worked. Therefore for 8 months within a year they get $80,000 US.
- There is no pay when one is not working/on leave.
- Doctors also get a loyalty return bonus of $6000 when they return for another contract.
- The salary is paid without any deductions. It would be up to the candidate to manage their own tax affairs determined by the country they are from.
The cruise company provides the following to the Doctor / crew member as part of their employment free of charge:
- Travel to and from the ship (economy class)
- Single berth cabin
- Full Deck privileges onboard, this means they are allowed to use the passenger facilities on board when they are not working – but they won’t be dining in the guest restaurants, they eat in the Officers Mess.
- Full uniform provided – need to provide their own black shoes.
- Family travel – family can travel with the employee once s/he has completed 6 months with the company up to 60 days per year.
Any job offer will be subject to the candidate passing the medical 100% (no grey areas), sourcing the US C1/D visa and successfully going through the on-boarding process completely.