A great opportunity has arisen to work onboard cruise and river ships as an Executive Chef. The selected candidate is to manage the Galley Department by ensuring a high level of quality in every aspect of the food service operation, maintaining an efficient administration system and by creating a friendly and guest-oriented service culture to ensure guest satisfaction.
To provide at all times an excellent guest service, maintaining high standards and consistency of outstanding food quality, monitoring of all guest galley-related tasks and supervising and coaching the galley team.
This is a leading role, whereby the selected candidate will be representing the company’s values and philosophy. A hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership of areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering the team with the skills, knowledge, and tools to succeed together as a team, having strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. Flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
- Responsible for the entire galley operation onboard
- Ensuring professional production and distribution of all meals for guest and crew in accordance with company standards, menu cycle and recipes
- Organisation and execution of F&B related ship functions and events, such as Welcome Dinner, Farewell Dinner, Afternoon Tea, Gala Dinners and any other special event onboard
- Ensuring food safety, highest level of cleanliness in the galley and production areas at all times in accordance with company’s standards and HACCP procedures
- Ordering of food supplies in accordance with the budget and production planning, in a cooperation with the Maitre and the Hotel Manager, while keeping in mind the food cost budget at all times
- Daily conduction of menu briefings with staff prior to service and explanation of dishes to service staff
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Supervise, motivate and train the multi-national galley crew
- Participation in loadings and conduction of quality control
- Responsible for cost control and adherence to set budgets
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedure
- Active participation in other ship functions, socialising with guests during mealtimes
- Co-operate with Maitre d’ to ensure high standards of the F&B Operation
- Executing full reports in compliance with company’s standards and systems
- Conduct performance evaluations for staff
- Conduct departmental meetings on a daily basis
- Active participation on onboard training programs
- Ability to effectively deal with customers, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts
- Responsible for the correct departmental manning in line with EU Regulations, company’s standards and given budgets
- Outstanding flexibility: must be able to work during different times of the day, under pressure and stay focused at all times, even under difficult conditions, a positive can-do attitude and showcasing the best image of the company
- Be fully proficient and knowledgeable about all relevant recipes, menu cycles, and function sheets
- Become knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call and shore excursions
- Full knowledge of the daily program
- Positively contribute in achieving / succeeding the KPI goals (quality and financial) for the Galley Department, as well as for the entire Food and Beverage Department
- Strong motivation to achieve the company goals and objectives
- Full knowledge of safety and security procedures
- Participation in all training concerning safety and security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company
- Graduate from a culinary school is a must, and additional degree with hospitality focus is an asset
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in an upscale cruise line or hotel of comparable size in a similar position in the galley operation
- Fluent in English, with excellent communication skills, knowledge of other languages is an asset
- Must be able to deal correctly with confidential information and must be discrete
- Must be well groomed and maintain impeccable hygiene standards
- Extensive walking required and ability to stand on feet for a long time
- Hours may vary based upon organisational needs and operational demands
- Guest focused, service oriented, positive personality and professional appearance
- Flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment
- Accounting and administration skills is a plus
Cruise ships roles are subject to appearance standards (including in relation to visible tattoos) and employees are expected to project a professional image at all times.
Visible tattoos are not permitted on all vessels. Tattoo removal is not encouraged and is the candidate’s personal decision.
Any offer of employment is subject to all mandatory medical examinations as required by the respective company.